Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Tick's Big Yule Log Special #1 (1998)


Tick's Big Yule Log Special (1997-2001) #1B

I love the Tick. From watching the legendary cartoon on Fox Kids on Saturdays with my little sister to the so short if you sneeze you'll miss it live-action series to just about every incarnation I can think of- I love the Tick.

  Anything Tick is hard to find. It's a cult classic series that spoofs the superhero genre. So when I can find him for a good deal, I don't think twice. Why I've even bought completed series of Tick knowing full well that I might already have a couple of the issues already. The hero is that good and that hard to come by.

  This Christmas special has Tick and his sidekick Arthur having to play Department store Santa after the champion is falsely accused of having knocked out the store's original St. Nick. The real trouble begins when an evil elf, direct from Santa's workshop, plans to give all the bad kids in town gifts instead of the good ones.

   This comic also has a little Christmas- no Hannukah miracle inside as on the flip side of the book is an 8-page story in which Arthur teaches the Tick about the Festival of Lights. It's perhaps the worst recount of the origin of the eight crazy nights since Superman flew all the Jews out of Egypt. (Friends reference for all you fans of the Holiday Armadillo!)

  I loved this special. For a humor book, it's rare to find myself laughing out loud so much that my wife next to me in bed wants to know what's so funny. She might not get the gags but to me they're comic gold.
 
 Worth Consuming

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment