Thursday, December 4, 2014

Legends of the DC Universe #22


Legends of the DC Universe (1998-2001) #22

The Man of Steel returns for the third time to Legends; this time to investigate reports of an alarm going off at an old government research lab. There, Superman discovers a mad scientist named Dabney (ooooooh, scary!) and his latest creation: a micro world inhabited by creatures inspired by classic horror films.

   This tiny planet is threatening to attack ours with a powerful cleansing agent that would send our earth into chaos by dissolving earth's supply of plastic. Oh, come on- who'se writing this?

    LAME! Lame, lame, lame!

   Supposedly this Dabney character is supposed to be a villain from the Kirby years. I don't recall him. The madman is looney, but he's really laughable.

    Plus, if a planet the size of a beach ball was threatened ours, I'd probably use it as a pool toy to render it obsolete. However, Superman must abide by his strong moral code and thus he with Dabney in tow, allows himself to be shrunk down in hopes he'll be able to appeal to the despot whose got planet earth in his crosshairs.
 
 If it wasn't for the art, I'm not sure if I'd really enjoy this issue at all. As I said, the plot was awful. But the detail of Dabney's lab and the Kamandi-like atmosphere of the tiny planet were masterfully drawn. I'm a big fan of artists who love to include those tiniest of details below and Jose Ladronn takes such care that his rendering of a discarded soda can is as detailed as werewolves that sweep to rescue Superman and Dabney from zombies.

     As far as I know, I've never come across his work before. But I hope to come across it real soon.
Oh, wait- there's next issue!
   
   Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment