Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Doctor Who #2 (2011-2012)

Doctor Who (2011-2012) #2B
Photo Cover to Issue #2

  
I hoard Doctor Who stuff, but it's not what you think. I grew up watching classic Doctor Who on PBS as a kid and was heartbroken when it went away. Then in 1996, I was elated to the thought of Fox bringing the show back with the Doctor Who movie. But that went nowhere. Then in 2005, my years of waiting were over as a new series was finally realized and has been going strong ever since.

   So for me, Doctor Who anything is a rare commodity. I now collect the books, comics, and DVDs. (Shirts too but I wear them all the time!) When I buy new Who, I hold on to it until I need another Timelord fix. Like an addict without their drug of choice, I like Jones for some Doctor Who often. When the show is on during it's new run on BBC America, I don't use any of my Doctor Who materials I amass, except for the shirts (I wear the heck out of those!) That way when it's in between seasons I have something new to look forward to.
   
Well, it's been about 3 weeks since the 2014 Christmas Special and I need my Doctor quick. The prescription this time around is some unread issues of IDW Publishing's first series to star the Eleventh Doctor played by Matt Smith.

    This 2011 issue has the Doctor, Rory, and Amy tackling a topic I am surprised has never been addressed in the 51-plus year history of Doctor Who: Jack The Ripper. When the trio stumbles upon the bodies of one of The Ripper's victims, the Doctor notices an unusual amount of radiation at the crime scene. Thus Britains most notorious murderer was, in fact, an alien from the future!

    Naturally, Amy wants to save the rest of the victims before it's too late. However, this is a fixed point in time and the Doctor must prevent Amy from changing history least she accidently cause the next Hitler to be born or worse- the universe could cease to exist!

  This opening chapter was very well written. The staff at IDW captured the colloquialisms of the characters quite well. It was funny and exciting. The painted art by Horacio Domingues was very good. But I really liked the art in the first issue of this series. There's nothing wrong with the art in this book. The renditions are done quite well. I just prefer the previous story's artwork a little more than this one.
A great issue to read snuggled up on a cold night wearing striped pajamas and a Doctor Who t-shirt (Did I mention I like to wear those a lot?)
 
   Worth Consuming

    Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment