Friday, January 2, 2015

Grimm Fairy Tales Holiday Special #1 (2009)



 Well, here it is, the last review for Christmas 2014. 2009's Grimm Fairy Tales Holiday Special is based on the Grim Fairy Tales series by Zenescope. GFT isn't really a series I pay much attention to in large part to it's covers which depict scantily clad vixens acting out famous fairy tales along with some variant covers that lead very little to the imagination. But over the summer, I had inherited my late best friends comic book collection. He was a big fan of this series and pretty much had a complete run of the first 50 or so issues including annuals, specials, and various mini-series tie-ins.

   I donated most of his run with the exception of a few holiday specials. I'd already read and reviewed the 2009 Halloween special and it ended with a cliffhanger leading into this book. In the Halloween issue, we saw a bunch of sinister looking nutcrackers ready to do some damage. Since I had this follow-up issue, I decided to keep it and give it a read, even though I'm not a fan of this series.

   My moratorium on GFT was a wise decision. This special was actually quite good and quite tame compared to my previous experiences with the Zenescope property. Here, the lead character who is the living embodiment of Snow White is given a nutcracker during her employment's holiday party. When someone spikes her drink, she's whisked away to a mythical land of fairies, sprites, and some deadly rats. Here, she battles the Rat King  with the aid of the heroic Nutcracker of the classic holiday ballet.

   During the action scenes, I could hear Tchaikovsky's vivid score in my head. It was almost like the writer and artist collaborated for each scene to be read in accordance with the musical's soundtrack. (Think Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon' playing while watching 'The Wizard of Oz.') 
  
  This story was really good and perfectly crafted. It was so well done, I was very tempted to forgive my previous qualms with this series and give it another go. That was until I reread it again and I noticed several gratuitous crotch shots of our lovely heroine. So much for that.
   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment