Friday, January 23, 2015

Doctor Who #4 (2011-2012)

Doctor Who (2011-2012) #4A
Original Cover to Issue #4.

  Thanks to Amy's meddling, the timeline has been changed. Now, Jack the Ripper's reign of terror is no longer limited to 5 women. That means that no woman in Whitechapel is safe- including Mrs. Pond! Now the Doctor and Rory race against time and space to prevent the feisty Scottish redhead from becoming victim #6.

   A fast-paced conclusion to the "Rippers Curse" that I found lacking slightly in the art department.  There are at least 2 characters that I kept getting confused because they look so similar. I had to go back several times just to keep these two straight.

   Now for the plus side- the writing finished strong. With lots of great twists and turns, I was on the edge of my seat. Well, I would have been had I not been lying in bed when I read this. But you get my point.

    One interesting turn in this story was how much of a bad a$$ Rory was. My wife hates him. She thinks he ruined Doctor Who by marrying Amy. I think he added a quirky dynamic to the show. Either way you look at the character, Rory often is more of a buffoon than an action hero. While he's still socially awkward in ways, he shows real leadership when his beloved Amy is in mortal peril.

    Bravo!

  This series just keeps getting better and better in terms of plotting and the script. Hopefully, the art will rebound in the new storyline next issue.

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment