Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Legends of the DC Universe #30


Legends of the DC Universe (1998-2001) #30


   The last Wonder Woman story in this anthology series was awful. So when I saw that another Wonder Woman tale pop up, I had some apprehension. Wonder Woman is a great character. I enjoy reading stories involving her. But that story from issues 4-5 sucked rocks. There was plot holes, the art was rough, and the dialogue was melodramatic at best.

    But this story by Christopher Priest and Karl Waller was actually very well written, entertaining, and excellently plotted.

   In this opening chapter, a despotic European rebel leader has his eye set on Wonder Woman. But he's willing to give up his civil war for one night with the Amazonian princess. Talk about your indecent proposals! But it appears that this is his nature as the warlord is in reality one of the Titans or some other important legend of Greek myth. (I've never heard of the myth he's based on, so I don't blame the writer for my being unable to recall the characters name without the book in front of me.) But from what I do remember, he's not Hercules despite being a massive horn dog.

    I really enjoyed this issue and I liked how it's tying in Hippolyta's time as Wonder Woman during World War II. It made for a compelling read that helped cement this story into the post-Crisis canon. It also has me ready and eager for chapter two- something I was not looking forward to after reading issue #4.

   Worth Consuming.

  Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment