Thursday, October 6, 2016

Archie Meets Ramones #1

 
  
In perhaps the most unusual team-up ever, the Archies of Riverdale High Meet legendary punk group, the Ramones. Considering that all of the original line-up is sadly deceased, you might be asking just how in the heck is this possible. It’s what I asked myself when I saw this at my favorite LCS, Books Do Furnish a Room.
    The book starts in the modern day, where the Archies are struggling as a band. They can’t stay on key. They bicker and fight amongst themselves. And poppy tunes like Sugar, Sugar are just too outdated for today’s youth. Now a really bad set has the group in danger of losing the Battle of the Bands unless they can pull things together in Round 2.
  To boost morale, Riverdale schoolmate Sabrina presents Archie with a copy of the Ramones debut album as a sort of good luck charm. But when the ginger-haired teen plays the record it transports the Archies to New York City 1977! In the Big Apple, the teens meet the pioneering punk rockers who teach the time-warped teens how to dress, act, and play rock n’ roll! (Lesson #1: Play Loud!)
    This was actually pretty funny. Joey and Dee Dee Ramone have some great lines and I loved the nostalgia of it all. I was born in 1977 and I just adore about anything from that year. Punk rock, especially that of the Ramones, is part of that adoration of mine. (Be on the lookout for a great cameo from another pioneering band from that era as well as a very young and grungy looking Mr. Weatherbee!)
    It’s been a while since I read something published in this year that was just plain fun. I had a blast reading this- so much that I re-read many of my favorite parts over and over. And the variant covers- I had trouble choosing which one to get as many pay tribute to classic Ramones albums such as Rock n’ Rock High School. But I finally went with Dan Parent’s homage to the group’s debut album, Ramones.
    Archie Meets Ramones dropped yesterday and until I saw it at my comics shop, I didn’t know anything about it. Though Archie, Jughead, and the gang are presented in that rebooted Archie style of Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, this one-shot captured the fun of the classic Archie books quite well. If you are looking for a totally strange read that relives some of the good things of the 70s, then this is the book for you.
 
  Worth Consuming

  Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment