Saturday, October 29, 2016

Green Lanterns #8

Awesome cover by Educardo Pansica.
   It's Halloween Night and Green Lanterns Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are on the hunt for a rouge Guardian. Also on this Guardian's trail are a pair of Dominators. But they don't want the Guardian, it's the power ring that he created and keeps on his person they want.
   Called the Phantom Ring, this power ring can be worn and operated by anyone. Thus the need to be fearless or worthy has been eliminated! Now it's up to Simon and Jessica use up every trick in their bag of treats to find the Guardian first or Earth will find itself under another Invasion of Dominators!
    This is probably the closest we'll get this year to a DC Comics Halloween special and it was pretty enjoyable. There's lots of Halloween hi-jinks and fun along with a very serious storyline that looks to impact the next several issues of Green Lanterns. However, that doesn't mean that this issue doesn't have a suitable ending to make a casual reader of this series satisfied.
    This is my first experience with these new Green Lanterns. Even though Simon Baz has been around for a while, I haven't read anything starring either of the characters (though I think one of the new supporting characters in Flashpoint was in reality Simon Baz, but I'm not certain.)
    I really liked the buddy cop dynamic between Baz (the bad cop) and Cruz (the rookie good cop.) There's a Training Day vibe going on here that I think is pretty neat. The only difference is that Simon isn't corrupt (at least I think that's the case.) (I hope that's the case.)
    I don't see this series being on my new releases pull list. But I will be on the look out for this series in bargain bins or maybe the graphic novel section of my local library. It's got a lot of promise. And who knows, maybe issue #11 or 12 will be Christmas themed?

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment