Sunday, October 16, 2016

Spacehawk #1

That creature on the cover... not a brain-bat!
This Dark Horse title was a reprint of legendary comic artist Basil Wolverton’s greatest creation, Spacehawk. Spacehawk #1 was supposed to reprint all of Wolverton’s Spacehawk stories while introducing the 90s crowd to new adventures of the galactic do-gooder in an all-new adventure at the back of each book.
Sadly, it only lasted 5 issues.
However, I am not that sad to see it go. Spacehawk was done in 1940 and even for books of that era, the art is preposterous (Spacehawk’s space ship looks like a flying school bus), the plots were paper thin, and the dialogue A), often repeated what was just said in the captions and B), used poor sentence structure that made for uneasy reading.
The new modern tale didn’t fare much better as the art was merely cleaned up and the story ended abruptly with the newly rescued heroine saying she's now going to be following Spacehawk wherever he goes. Yet, the story ends there and we don’t get a “The End” or a “Tune in next time..” teaser to help explain the loose ends.
I only got this book because of the 'brain-bats' story this volume contains. I had read one of Wolverton’s 'brain-bat' stories in another comic or treasury (to which I can’t figure out where I read or saw the story that compelled me to get this book.) But, I remember that that tale was very good and it had turned me on to further Spacehawk adventures. Alas, in was this very volume that I am now reviewing, that has ended that curiosity for good.
NOT Worth Consuming.
Rating: 2 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment