Friday, October 21, 2016

Finding Molly: Adventures in Catsitting #4 (Family Comic Friday)

   I wanted to go a little different for my Family Comic Friday selection this week. I've not had a chance to go to the library in weeks and at my local comic bookstore is some good stuff. But I wanted to review something different than Disney, Archie, or Scooby-Doo. 
   My choice for this week is based on a Kickstarter project by Emet Comics, a publisher devoted to giving female writers and artists a venue. I'm all for girls and women getting into comic books and I'm always game to try a new comic aimed at young female readers and then help spread the word. Plus, this cover had a Siamese kitten who looks like my baby girl Sarakit (she's so darn cute!) that I just had to try it.
    Finding Molly is about a young aspiring artist who just moved to LA to find her fortune in the world of comics. To make ends meet while her web comic gets off the ground, Molly works as a catsitter. Just as she takes a freelance position at a trendy new website, Molly accepts a catsitting job in Malibu, to which all her friends see as a chance for a weekend beach trip. Just as a deadline looms, a missed chance at love occurs and on her way back to the City of Angels, Molly discovers that the precious Siamese from the cover, stowed away in her purse and is now making a nuisance of herself at Molly's new job.
    First of all, I could totally see my Siamese doing this. One day, I'm going to find the car missing as her son Andre has taken daddy's car keys and driven Miss Sarakit around town. 
Miss Sarakit, the Cross-eyed Wonder.
I love my Siamese and her half-British Blue son. But they can be a handful.
    Now about Finding Molly. I found it in the young readers section of a really great comics and hobby shop called Atomic Empire in Durham, NC. While yes, young adult readers will like this book, it's not an all-ages affair. With some mild swears and use of alcohol (albeit responsibly) this book is more suitable for those 12-15. 11, if shows like Gossip Girl or Jane, The Virgin are acceptable for your child to watch. 
    The team of Justine Prado, Jenn St-Onge and Carey Pietsch are ones to watch. The artwork is whimsical and their cats are so gosh darn precious. The color palette is stunning. The storyline is pretty funny. It's a tench on the more for the Millennial generation side for this Gen-Xer, but it wasn't bad. Plus, while the story ends with a 'cliffhanger', the story itself ties up nicely like an episode of something like Doctor Who, where there is a general theme throughout the whole season but each episode has a satisfying conclusion.
   For more about Finding Molly: Adventures in Catsitting and
other titles from Emet Comics click here!
  
   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment