Sunday, October 9, 2016

Where Monsters Dwell #5

    The bargain bin- it's where I find lots of great little gems and this one was no exception. It's like mining for gold at those little tourist traps in the mountains. The stuff you find might be unique and maybe even a little rare but it's so flawed that there's very little value to it unless you polish it up. In my case, that would mean having it graded. But I don't care, I was extremely happy to find this monster book from 1970 even if the cover is almost about to fall off.
    This issue has 4 stories. The first is the cover story involving a giant mud monster who has returned to turn earth with plans of turning our planet into it's private global kingdom. By Jack Kirby along with Dick Ayers, this is one of the last Kirby stories before the King left for DC. An interesting read with touches of the King's mastery and a bit of an ending ripped from the Classic Trek episode "Charlie X.'
     The next story by the legendary Steve Ditko, involves an American sailor enthralled by the ship of an Asian warlord. The sailor goes as far as to shanghai the crime lord to commit piracy but it turns out that the criminal leader also has magical powers. This story had an ending that I figured out pretty quick but it was still an entertaining read.
    Then a country bumpkin helps a trio of aliens repair their ship in return for a special treasure. But when the earthling discovers that the visitors are planning to return with an invasion fleet, the man promises to make things right. It was okay but clearly the weakest story of the bunch.
     Lastly, a man wanting to buy a haunted house is encouraged by the realtor to spend a night in there. It's a classic version of an old ghost story but with a great twist. 
    I think the biggest surprise to me about this book was it's age. I really thought Where Monsters Dwell was a Marvel book from the early 60s- like pre-Fantastic Four early. I had no idea that it ran in the 70s. But man, was I glad I found this- it was worth early penny of the dollar I spent on it and then some. What a great way to start my Halloween haunted reading for the 2016 season!!!
   
   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment