Saturday, March 25, 2017

Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood and Vine

     Zephyr is a superhero known as a psiot, a human with psychic abilities like being able to fly and use of very powerful force fields. By day, Zephyr is Faith Herbert but a recent event allowed the world to find out her secret identity. So Zephyr has moved to LA with a new secret identity and a job as a writer for a Buzzfeed type website. 
      The move for Zephyr has been wrought with challenges but she's making her way on her own. However, she's going to have to call in the help of some old friends as Zephyr finds herself the target of a shadowy agency that's trying to make human weapons out of the psiots that reside within the City of Angels.
      This collection of Faith's first few issues as a solo act has been a critical success. So when I saw this at my local library, I had to give it a view. 
      The Valiant Comics universe is perhaps the one that I am the least familiar with. I have very little knowledge of Valiant's backstory so it took me a while to really understand what has been going on. The parts about Zephyr the superhero weren't as enjoyable as Faith Herbert the person.
       Faith is a fangirl and I delighted in catching many of the pop culture and geek references peppered throughout this book. It also gave me an idea for a new comic series which I am pretty excited to tackle if I ever get the chance. 
       Another thing I enjoyed about this book was the inclusion of the character Archer. From the series Archer and Armstrong, this is about as much as I know about Valiant. Well, that and Turok, that dinosaur hunting Indian guide. Anyways, Archer's story seemed really interesting and if I ever get a chance, I wanna check it out. Seems like it might make another good read.
      By the final chapter in this book, I was enjoying reading the Zephyr parts as much as the sections that cover her secret identities. There's at least a second volume of Faith comics out there and I am more than willing to give this series another go. 
      A feminist comic that doesn't get very preachy and doesn't seem to be anti-men. Faith doesn't always need help to save the day but when she does, she's not afraid to ask other guy superheroes to help. Refreshingly different in a day and age where the Steve Trevors of the comic book world are 198 lb wimps that only think about sex.

     Worth Consuming

     Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment