Monday, March 27, 2017

Incredible Hulk, Volume 2: Boiling Point


      Once again on the run from authorities, Bruce Banner is backpacking through the Rockies when he stops at a convenience store for supplies. There, he runs afoul of hostage situation. Normally, Banner would let his little green friend deal with the situation but he is a wanted man. 

    Tasked with being the go-between on the store's phone with the hostage negotiator, Banner's trying to defuse the situation quickly. He really doesn't want to make a scene and now that the FBI has arrived, Bruce really wants to be on his way and fast. It looks like the fugitive doctor has an out as the agents claiming to be Feds are willing to trade the on-site negotiator for him...

    The first half of this book was excellent. I liked the whole set-up of having Bruce be stuck in a hostage situation, unable to Hulk-out without serious ramifications. But about half way through, the book takes a turn and the Albatross from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner is used ad- nauseum and I hated it.

     When I read a comic book, I don't mind being challenged by social justice motifs. But I don't expect my comics to double as English Lit text-books! Plus, if your going to go that route, maybe add a small Crib's Notes section so I know what the hell your talking about. 

    Great art by Lee Weeks (Captain Marvel) but I think writer Bruce Jones (Eerie) was trying just a little too hard.

    Rating: 6 out of 10 stars.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment