Friday, March 3, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 62 / Everybody Poops by Taro Gomi (Family Comic Friday)

For those of young who only read my posts 'A Madman Turns 40', on Fridays, I publish an review of children's books and graphic novels called 'Family Comic Friday.' Today's post combines both Madman and FCF for a look at a very bizarre children's book from 1977: Everyone Poops.

    It's the summer of 1995. My sister and two young kids from across the street are enrolled in a summer reading program at the local library. I would tag along with my mom and them and I'd stroll around the library while they had fun. Afterwards, they'd all check out books to take home and read.

    One day, one of the kids, named TJ, showed us a book that he checked out called 'Everyone Poops.' Well, having a wicked sense of humor, I just had to read it to the gang on the drive back home. 

     The book is pretty graphic. It's got everybody pooping- Whales, birds, dogs, even a human child. It's sure insanity and it's become a cult classic.
I don't think a single animal is left out of this insane book.

     The book was written in 1977 by Japanese children's author Taro Gomi. That should be explanation enough right there. The Japanese are fascinated by poop and pee. They've created cartoon characters that have been licensed to everything from diapers to juice boxes. It's a real (bizarre) obsession.
  
    Originally titled 'Minna Unchi', the book has been translated into dozens of languages. It's even been made into an animated short film and somebody even got the smooth voiced Morgan Freeman to recite the entire book! (I want to give that person an award for artistic genius.)
Yes- Potty Humor!

    Very tongue-in-cheek, this book is still some delicate stuff. If out in the hands of a much older brother (like me) it could be some dangerous stuff. But Everyone Poops has been hailed as a classic that has helped erase some of the stigma behind going #2.
I kid you not- this is a companion book to the 1977 cult classic.

     Well, that's my look at my favorite year for today. Until tomorrow, keep the noises to a minimum and maybe light a match or use some air freshener or something...

     Worth Consuming

     Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment