Thursday, December 14, 2017

A Classic TV Christmas- Advent 2017 Day 14


We're back in the 70s where we belong. Enough time travel for a while...

I had mentioned a few days ago how the Gift of the Magi by O. Henry is my favorite Christmas story. We looked at a variation of that story when we visited the Honeymooners in New York. Well, I want to head back to the Big Apple to visit another couple who are having difficulties over purchasing gifts for the weekend. I have the address somewhere....

Oh, here it is- 123 Sesame Street. 



In the holiday episode of the titular children's series Sesame Street from December 6, 1978 titled Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, a ton of things are happening. Oscar is getting into trouble telling a little girl and Big Bird that Santa isn't coming this year. Jose Feliciano is singing Felix Navidad. And Cookie Monster has eaten all of the Christmas cookies left out for Santa!




But the storyline I am most interested about involves those unlikely best friends and roommates, Bert and Ernie. Bert wants to get Ernie a dish for his rubber duckie to rest in when it's not bath time. Ernie wants to surprise Bert with box for his paperclip collection. Being short on funds, Bert trades his collection to Mr. Hooper. Ernie also is low on cash and trades his rubber duckie to local shop keep Hooper.

Eventually, the buddies open their presents and they try really hard to not reveal that they gave their possessions away. Thankfully, it's Mr. Hooper to the rescue as he's come with presents- Ernie's rubber duckie and Bert's paperclips!



This award winning episode not only was eventually put on VHS and DVD, parts of it was also made into a record album. I remember as a very young kid listening to that album over and over. We could not decorate our Christmas tree for several years without this record playing. My favorite part was the Bert and Ernie adventure.

One cool thing about the record was that if you opened it up, there was a comic book inside of several of the songs and stories. I loved pouring over the images as the record spun on my Smurfs record player...



AS luck would have it, I actually found a video of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. AS today's Advent gift, I am sharing it with you. I hope you and your family will treasure it as I have for almost 40 years. Enjoy and until tomorrow- Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment