Sunday, December 31, 2017

1977: A Madman Turns 40: 2017- Day 365- A Spoiler Free Review of Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi

I finished out my year of turning 40 with my oldest of  childhood friends; for today I went to see The Last JediTravel, the holidays, and getting terribly ill got in the way of seeing it sooner. But now that I think of it, this was quite a fitting way to end my look at turning 40.

I had seen for weeks how many fans are disgusted with this film. Lots of fans signed a petition demanding that Episode VIII be removed from canon. Mark Hamill went so far as to say the character he portrayed wasn't his or creator George Lucas' Luke Skywalker but instead a knockoff character named Jake Skywalker. Finally, The Last Jedi now holds the dubious record of the worst one-week box office drop off in film history. 

Now, with Christmas being just the week after The Last Jedi debuted in theaters, I am sure that quite a bit of ticket sales did drop due to that fact.  Needless to say, I went into this film expecting a big huge dud. I was getting deja vu of going to see Justice League last month. But I have never missed a Star Wars in the theatres and I wasn't about to start now. Plus, with this film being actress Carrie Fisher's last, I wasn't about to pass up a chance to pay my last respects.

What I saw was an impressive two and a half hours of film by director Rian Johnson (Looper.) Continuing immediately from the events of Episode VII, the Resistance is desperately attempting to evacuate their secret base. Meanwhile, young heroine Rey has finally located Luke Skywalker and is desperately attempting to lure him back to defeat the First Order. And that's as far as I want to go on the plot. 

Many fans went so far on social media to decry that this Star Wars film was so unlike other Star Wars films. Empire is considered to be the most unlike the original trilogy. And yes- Last Jedi is very un-Star Wars. I think that's because this film was the Empire Strikes Back of the new trilogy. And there's several reasons why:
  • The Super Star Destroyer was introduced in Empire. A new version, the dreadnought, is brought into play here.
  • Empire has Hoth, a planet cover in white fluffy snow. Last Jedi has a new planet covered in white fluffy salt. Both planets involve the back guys unleashing a deadly type of AT vehicle.
  • Empire and Last Jedi both has a wanna be Jedi begrudgingly trained by an elderly reclusive master.
  • and finally both Empire and this movie are the most well acted and least cliched of the bunch and they end with the absence of a happy ending!
If this had been Episode IX instead of VIII, I think I would have been extremely happy. There's quite a bit going here that I could seen this as being the end of the third (and final) trilogy promised to us by George Lucas. And I would have left the theater extremely satisfied to have gotten to see the whole story. 

In fact I have an idea that could make the detractors and the fans happy.  I know how I look at it makes me pleased. See, I'd go so far as to reorder the Episode numbers making Rogue One no longer 'A Star Wars Story' but christen it Episode IV. This would result in shifting everything down a number. Empire is now VI, Return of the Jedi is VII, and Force Awakens becomes VII. It all ends in The Last Jedi as Episode IX. Then the new trilogy of Star Wars films recently proposed by Rian Johnson could continue upon the struggles of this new Resistance in wrestling peace back from the First Order. 

I know that in no way would my idea ever work. Disney would never go for it. And there's too many whiny wanna-be fanboys out there that would complain and threaten boycotts if this idea ever got a green lit. But a lot of the fun of Star Wars is being able to expound on the possibilities. And since I had a lot of fun watching the newest Episode of Star Wars and I have zero idea where the franchise is going from here- it was worth a shot just mentioning.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8.5 out of 10 stars.

My New Rankings...
                1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
                2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
                3. Episode IV: A New Hope
                4. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
                5. Episode VII: The Last Jedi
                6. Episode VII: The Force Awakens
                7. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
                8. Episode II: Attack of the Clones
                9. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

No comments:

Post a Comment