Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Classic TV Christmas- Advent Day 17



Today's a very quick post. I'm still in NYC for a mini vacation and time is of the essence.

The episode I choose is actually my mother's favorite Christmas episode. It's from the NBC detective series Riptide. It only lasted 3 seasons, but my mom was in love with Joe Penny who played Nick. 

Home For Christmas is the name of the classic TV episode. In it, Nick takes a case involving the father of a fallen solider. When the wrong body is delivered for burial. Nick and his detective partners Murray and Cody investigate and find that the fallen solider's death was part of a cover-up. The mystery reveals that the solider along with another died during a clandestine mission that was classified. However, without learning who the other soldier was, the detectives cannot recover the correct body. But when Nick finds another member of the mission in hiding, he's able to get the Army to reveal all of the details and allow for a proper burial.

The final scene has the father accepting his son's flag in a snowy field while John Lennon's Happy Xmas/War Is Over plays. Every time my mother would watch that scene, she would cry and cry and cry.

Fun fact: the father was played by veteran actor James Whitmore. There's a bit of nepotism here as the director of this episode is James Whitmore Jr. 

So, as my Advent present for you today, I present to you that very same episode from December 17,1985. I am sorry that the format is a little wonky. But with the copyright, it's the best I could do. 
Enjoy and until tomorrow- Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment