Saturday, February 12, 2022

Red Sonja Valentine's Day Special

Love, Hyrkanian Style!

Red Sonja is the target of a love potion gone wrong. Expect lots of magic, blood and mayhem.

I'm not sure why I didn't read this when new last year. Pandemic was probably behind it. My favorite LCS may not have been open to the public. Or I was just not comfortable leaving my house at the time. But for one reason or another, I didn't own this book until sometime after February 14th.

I've got mixed feelings about this book. I really didn't have a clue where the book was going for the first about dozen pages. I didn't get the joke on the inside cover with the credits. I really thought there were 6 different short stories in this. So, I was really confused as to why the first story was so freaking long. 

Then you got the fact that Red Sonja lives in a time prior to the existence of Valentine's Day. How can this be a Valentine's Day special? Sure, 'love' is in the air and there are cupids in this book. But, it's like when there is a Flintstones Christmas Special. Christ was not born during the time of the giant lizards. These kind of anachronisms just irk me. 

The story overall was very well written. It's by Fables' Bill Willingham! Of course it's well written! I thought the middle spread of 'Red Sonja's Dating Tips' were hilarious. It too was anachronistic. But it was intended to be humorous. It did not irk me. 

I also loved the retro variant cover. Though I must be honest. I thought that Red Sonja was kissing one of the characters from Planet of the Apes. Silly me..,

Enjoyable. Not really Valentine's Day. But I see the effort and I appreciate how Dynamite Entertainment is attempting to start up a run of Valentine's Day specials. 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 7 out of 10 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment