Thursday, February 24, 2022

The Three Stooges TV Time Special #1

Larry, Moe and Curly shine in a pair of all-new stories in this 2017 special from American Mythology. 

The first yarn has the boys going on a budget vacation. Using Shemp's car, the fellas are heading to the beach. But thanks to a traffic jam, Moe decides to take the scenic route. Which we all know never goes poorly!

The second story has the guys competing in a Double Dare type game show. The tasks the contestants have to complete harkens back to some classic Stooges bits. But it's the punchline to the story that only the most loyal of Stooges fans will get. (Madman translation- I kinda got it but it's also something that doesn't provide an 'A-ha!' moment for me either.)

Though this is called the Three Stooges TV Time Special, only one of the stories is about television. Well, I assume the game show story is about a TV show. I don't recall seeing any studio cameras. I know that the Stooges are considered icons of TV, but they got their start on stage and later screen. In other words, it doesn't make sense to me why this is a TV Time special.

As with just about every American Mythology comic featuring the Three Stooges, there's extra material. Along with a couple of one-page gags from probably Dell or Gold Key, there's an article on the Stooges exhibit at Geppi's Entertainment Museum. I knew that the GEM in Baltimore closed before the pandemic. That's how I realized that this wasn't a recent release even though I just purchased this on the new releases shelf at my LCS. But that's okay! I wasn't feeling all that great and appreciated the pick-me-up.

There's also an interview with a Stooges super-fan. One that also happens to be a priest. So you heard it here first- The Three Stooges are kid tested, man of the cloth approved!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment