Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Marvel Comics Presents #54

A couple of issues ago, I talked about an 8-pager starring the Hulk. I mentioned that Hulk was green and he wasn't being referred to as Mr. Fixit. I wondered if this was a flashback. It appears that that story was indeed a flashback because the Hulk is here and he's gray once more. Whether Hulk is still a mob bouncer by the name of Fixit is unclear. That's mostly because in the opening salvo of this Wolverine team-up, Logan mostly encounters Bruce Banner as he's getting his butt kicked by a grizzly bear! Why isn't he hulking up? I think we'll have to wait to the next issue to find out!

The Stingray story in which Tiger Shark is his brother in-law is fantastic. I'm eager to see where this is going!

Jack Russell, the Werewolf by Night, begins a 6-part story. His wolf form is growing ever more fierce. Every full moon, Jack is chaining himself in a cloistered area. However, there's been a number of slayings that look like the result of a wolf. Is Jack losing control to the point that he's escaping, killing and then re-chaining himself to a concrete wall? It doesn't seem possible. But the evidence of a werewolf killer is pretty damning. 

In the one shot story, the secret Kali-loving hero, the Shroud encounters a dangerous young girl. With her ability to project intense light, this woman is the antithesis of the Shroud and she's sworn to revenge her family by killing any and all followers of the god Kali! That means Shroud has a giant target on his back!

All 4 segments were very good. Wolverine is better when he's not so arrogant. Stingray deserved his own series, as long as if it was penned by the legendary Len Wein (Swamp Thing). I'm intrigued by the mystery at the center of the Werewolf by Night story. And I really enjoyed the Shroud story. 

I was completely surprised by that because from encounters within the pages of Super-Villain Team-Up and Spider-Woman, I loathed this character. But with a much better framework story explaining his whole hero posing as a crime lord shtick and Batman-like compassion, I had a much favorable view of Shroud. It doesn't mean I'm going run out and buy a full run of Shroud appearances. But I don't dislike the character anymore- for now!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment