Wednesday, December 7, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 7


Today's post is all up to fate. If it wasn't for the random pop culture generator I used to help with a large chunk of this Advent, I really don't think in a million years I would have decided to take a look at the world of musicals. Since it wasn't specified, I'm looking at musicals from both the stage and silver screen.


First up is a piece from Phantom of the Opera. For a couple of years, my wife purchased several ornaments based on the Andrew Lloyd Webber production. The ornaments look like a stage, complete with curtains and lime to represent key scenes of the play. My favorite of the ones my wife has is the one for the song 'Masquerade' with the Phantom dressed as a devil hoping to steal a dance with the fair Christine. Produced by American Greeting cards, this battery operated decoration would light up and play about 15 seconds of the song when a button in the back was pressed. A pretty heavy ornament, unless you had a really sturdy tree, this decoration was better suited for your bookcase.

If you want to make your Christmas tree the hottest thing on 4-wheels, might I suggest this replica of Greased Lightning from the musical Grease? Produced by Hallmark, this is a snazzy little piece. Though I think it would have been an awesome touch if they had put the scratch on the side of the car like when Danny races in the culvert and the rival gang's car slices into the convertible. 

To represent my favorite musical, here's one from Stromboli's Wagon. It's a resin TV set with a picture representation of the cast from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Here's a fun fact: the book the musical is based on was titled Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. However, they changed the name to Willy Wonka because producers did not think audiences would go see a film named after soldiers of the North Vietnamese army. 

To represent my wife's favorite musical, I'm sharing this dated ornament available on Cafe Press. I choose this one because on having seen Les Miserables many times, I have seen this very ornament for sale at the souvenir stands at the venues. It's got the iconic Les Mis girl, Cosette, I think along with a red ribbon strand and 2022 date attached.

For those of you who like the DIY approach, I've seen what's being done on Etsy and it's pretty cool. Fans of musicals can actually submit their favorite Playbills and have them turned into ornaments. Proud parents can have the programs to their kids' musicals and plays turned into a lovely memento for years to cherish.


As my Advent present for you today, let's keep the music going. It's a Jim Henson classic from the year I was born 1977. I present to you Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas. It has a run time of 49 minutes. So grab a blanket, some hot chocolate and Christmas cookies and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment