Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 13


Disney is the next pop culture franchise that the random generator spit out at me. But there's just so much stuff out there that I am going to have to narrow my focus. For this post, I will share an ornament from the year I was born, an ornament based on my wife's favorite Disney film, another based on my favorite character, one from my favorite Disney movie and a DIY one. 

Born in 1977, I was surprised that there were several ornaments to choose from. I chose this satin ball deal from Hallmark because it looked the most like something I remember hanging from one of my grandparents tree. Mickey graces the front in between likenesses of Donald and Goofy. On the back it says 'Merry Christmas 1977' with images of Donald and Mickey. Though the Mickey on the back looks more like Mickey's nephew Morty.



My wife's favorite Disney film is Peter Pan. The 1953 animated feature is tied in to how we meet and it's played a huge part in our life together ever since. Again, there were tons to choose from and it was a tough choice. In the end, I went with this bauble from Disney Store Japan. It has Peter with Tinkerbell and his shadow standing inside a hidden Mickey that looks a lot like a snow globe, which is another favorite of my bride's. The top of the ornament has a Peter Pan hat and a green satin ribbon that completes the piece to a T.


My favorite Disney picture is Alice in Wonderland. The 1951 film is just so zany and oddball and that is something I feel that represents me very well. For my selection I chose this 2011 exclusive Cast Member bauble. Such an ornament was given only to employees of the various Disney parks and can be very collectible. I love the antique finish of the filigree that surrounds the image. I also love having the Mad Hatter and March Hare in a festive scene with Alice as the Mad Tea Party is my favorite scene of the book and movie. I just hate that the porcelain image has begun to yellow over the years. This is a sign that the owner of this ornament was a smoker and it lessens the value of this really cool piece.


My favorite Disney character is hands down- Uncle Scrooge. Many might not know this but Scrooge McDuck is actually a Christmas character in origin. His first appearance was in a 1947 story created by Carl Barks titled 'Christmas at Bear Mountain.' Over the years, McDuck would scour the world searching for rare and value treasure before finally living up to his namesake starring in the role of Ebeneezer Scrooge in 1983's Mickey's Christmas Carol. 

Being such a massive fan of that animated short, I'm picking this 1983-ish PVC ornament of Scrooge in his role as Ebeneezer yelling at whomever had that gall to hang a wreath on the door of his counting house. I know I didn't have this ornament. But I seem to recall owning this 2.5 inch figurine. I wouldn't be surprised is some company took a whole bunch of these plastic pieces, drilled a hole through them and sold them as make shift ornaments to make a few bucks. Or maybe one of my cousins had one. Either way, I remember this and I love it!


From the DIY Dept, it didn't take me very long to find my favorite ornament idea to share. I took one look at this trio and just thought it was brilliant. You take 3 clear glass/plastic ornaments, stencil on faces of Winnie the Pooh, Piglet and Tigger, fill with appropriately colored yarn or feathers and voila! Instant trip to the 100 Acre Woods!



It's gift time. I wasn't thinking I was going to do it. But at least for now, I get to share with you an honest to goodness animated short from Disney. It's Donald Duck and his nephews in the cool yule classic Donald's Snow Ball Fight. From 1942, this is a hilarious cartoon that could give Frozen and Frozen II a definite run for it's money.

Enjoy!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment