Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 20


Today's post is brought to you by the letters M and C and the number 20.

I was so excited when Sesame Street popped up on that random generator. Next to superheroes, Sesame Street is my earliest exposure to the realms of pop culture and Christmas coming to meet. I had a copy of Merry Christmas From Sesame Street, an LP album that featured a number of songs and several skits. 

The album was released originally in 1975 to great fanfare and even earned a Grammy nomination for the Children's Television Network. 3 years later, the TV special Christmas Eve on Sesame Street reused much of the material on the album. This resulted in the album being re-released and that's how I got a copy of the record. The coolest thing about the album was that it opened up in the middle and looked like a giant comic book. I spent hours studying that layout while listening to Bert, Ernie, Big Bird and Grover celebrate the holidays. 

My favorite character on Sesame Street is Grover. I love Disco Grover. I know the difference between near and far. I've been known to rock a recitation of The Monster at the End of The Book. And I chuckle every time I think of Grover starring in a version of The Night Before Christmas where he is a mouse who you will notice is not stirring (his bowl of cookie dough!) But my favorite version of the blue fur-ball is when he dons a cape and knight's helmet and becomes Super Grover! So in honor of that, I'm sharing this PVC ornament of SG in flight. 

Next, I'm sharing this pair of ceramic ornaments of Oscar the Grouch and Bert. They're from sometime in the 90s and I remember these as my sister had these. For several years, these two hung from my mom's white artificial tree. Where they are now, I have no idea. But I would love it if my sister has these and is sharing them with her little ones. 

Another character I have fond memories of is of the elephantine Mr. Snuffleupagus. I remember when he was Big Bird's supposed imaginary friend as he'd always disappear when someone would come along. Eventually, the residents of Sesame Street finally meet Snuffy and now he and his family are prominent members of the neighborhood. This 1992 ornament from Grolier has Snuffy wearing a Santa hat and carrying a tree in his trunk. (Hey- it's a pun!) I especially love how the character has snow on his back and one of Ernie's Twiddlebug friends is sledding down Snuffy's back. 

You can't mention Snuffy without including his best friend, Big Bird. I'm really fond of this imported glass ornament of Big Bird in his nest covered in lights and donning a Santa cap. I only wish he had a little bit of snow on him like he did when sleeping in his bed during the Christmas Eve special.

I also want to share this one also made from Grolier. It's off the detective Muppet Sherlock Hemlock. I'm not sharing because of any fond connection to the character or anything like. I just greatly appreciate how an obscure character like Sherlock getting the ornament treatment. 


Let's wrap things up with today's DIY ornament. Here's a list of what you need:

SUPPLIES:

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Make the salt dough ornament recipe. Before putting the dough into the oven to bake, cut out 2 circles.  We pressed a small glass into the dough to create the right size shape.
  2. Form 2 round balls out of the dough and gently press them onto one of the circles for Cookie Monster’s eyes.  Form 2 round balls and an oval and gently press them onto the other circle for Elmo’s eyes and nose.
  3. After the dough bakes and is completely cooled, paint Cookie Monster’s face blue and the eyes white with black dots.  Paint a black half circle for the mouth.  Paint Elmo’s face red, nose orange, and eyes white with black dots.  Paint a black half circle for the mouth.
  4. After the paint dries, put a coat of Mod Podge over the ornament.  This step is optional but it helps protect the ornament and keeps the paint from chipping.
  5. Cut a ribbon that is about 4 inches long, fold it in half to create a loop, and glue it onto the back of the ornament.
  6. After the glue dries, hang the ornament on your Christmas tree.

Now it's gift time. For today's Advent, I am sharing something that I am sure I've shared before. But it's a classic and it's too good not to share. It's the complete 1978 holiday special, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. About 1 hour long, it's a timeless look at your favorite Muppets before Elmo moved in and ruined everything. I kid- kinda. But there's a lot of beloved characters from long ago in this this, like the amazing Mr. Hooper, David and Maria and of course, the heart and soul of the neighborhood, Bob Johnson played by the legendary Robert McGrath, whom we lost earlier this month. RIP, Bob and to all, please enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment