Monday, December 19, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 19


We're looking at the best Doctor Who ornaments of all-time. So hop in the TARDIS and let's get started!

First up is this Kurt Adler ornament of the TARDIS- the Doctor's time machine and a very important character on the show. Based on the 11th Doctor's version of the Mark IV, this ornament is dusted with some festive snow and a wreath with lights up!


This year, Hallmark released an ornament based on one of the most popular incarnations of the Doctor- the 4th! Played by Tom Baker for an unprecedented 7th years, this version of the Doctor was most Americans first introduction to the long-running sci-fi series when PBS obtained the rights to air the series in the late 70s. Here, the Tom Baker Doctor is wearing his 12-foot long scarf and doffing his chapeau to all who pass by him on the family Christmas tree. Sorry, no Jelly Babies however.

When it comes to Doctor Who, after people mention the Police Box and the Doctor, they then refer to the monsters. The most popular monsters are the Daleks. And they're okay. But if you were to ask me my favorite baddies, I would choose the Cybermen all day. Those metal men with their color dead voices and stomping way of walking both scared and fascinated me as a child. To honor my devotion to them, I'm sharing this ornament of a Cyberman's bust, available for sale on the BBC website. I think they're made of blown glass. But I am not very sure. 


On the Etsy side of things, I really like this engraved wooden ornament from a seller known as ZenImperiumDesigns. It has the TARDIS surrounded by some glyphs that look like High Gallifreyan with a few of the tiny globes bearing images of Daleks, Cybermen and those frightening Weeping Angels. 

My favorite Doctor is the 5th Doctor. Played by Peter Davison, this version of the Doctor was my first real taste at Doctor Who. I was about 5 or 6 when I watched my first episode, which happened to be Tom Baker's last episode. When he regenerated into Davison, I was shocked but I liked how he was kind, friendly and adventuresome. Plus, with Adric, a young boy as a member of the TARDIS crew at the time, knowing that this Doctor liked kids made me feel that I could have been a part of the TARDIS at some point.


In honor of the 5th Doctor, I am sharing this polymer clay ornament from seller NerdyGirlsWonderland. It's got the Doctor's awesome tan and red cricket outfit, Panama hat and yes, a stick of decorative vegetable on the lapel!

Today's DIY ornament is fairly simple. You will need a small printed out sheet of paper bearing the lettering on the TARDIS door about being a public call box, scissors, some blue pipe cleaners, an ornament hook and some hot glue. Take the image of the sign and trim away any excess paper with the scissors. Hot glue pipe cleaners around the paper, making a frame. Then take the hook and glue the part that you would hang around the ornament and glue it to the back of the paper, leaving the hook part for your tree. Viola! Once you hang it from your tree, it looks like the Doctor has the chameleon circuits fixed and has turned the TARDIS into your family's Christmas tree!




For today's Advent present, I found this adorable animated puppet short that highlights the first 12 Doctors. It's from 5 years ago, so don't go thinking I'm being biased towards the Jodie Whitaker Doctor. I mean, I am. But that's not why I am sharing this video. 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment