Friday, December 2, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022, Day 2

In order to not be biased in the pop culture ventures I celebrate for this advent, I used a pop culture random generator. For days 2-20, with exception of Day 18, fate decided my Advent focuses for me. That's why today's franchise is Buffy the Vampire Slayer because if it wasn't for randomness, I wouldn't be dipping my toe into this pool.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer originally was a comedy horror film. The creation of Joss Whedon, the 1992 film starring Kristy Swanson (The Chase) and Luke Perry (Beverly Hills 90210) was a modest hit. However, it wasn't until Whedon rebooted the series as a gritty TV series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (Cruel Intentions) that Buffy became a cultural phenomenon. 



I had seen the film. But I never watched the TV show. What little bit I know comes from Free Comic Book Day releases a couple of Halloween themed Buffy comic books and clips of the show highlighted on E!'s The Soup. 

When it comes to holiday ornaments starring Buffy and her gang of friends known as 'The Scoobies' you'll have to go the homemade route. Both Amazon and Etsy have a few things related to the horror franchise. My favorite offerings is a picture image of actress Gellar with the holiday pun 'I Sleigh', a glass ball that declares that '2021 Sucks', and a sparkly bauble devoted to Buffy's high school, Sunnyvale High.


I also have seen evidence of a set of mini-bust ornaments that feature 11 characters from the TV show, including the vampires Spike and Angel. Created by Moore Creations, these are some professional grade looking pieces. But I don't think that they are officially licensed nor were they originally intended to be hung on a tree. I've seen these mini busts sold as both something you place on your display shelf and your tree. The only difference is that the ornaments have a screw with a ribbon protruding from the top of each busts' noggin. 


For today's Advent gift for you- I had to dig deep. It's a video of Buffy's Holiday Village. I didn't say it was Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Holiday Village. But it's a fun short video of some amazing decorations. If you squint, you can probably imagine a couple of vampires and the Scoobies running around somewhere...

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment