Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Archie Christmas Spectacular 2022

This is the holiday special I look forward to the most every year. DC Comics does a fairly good 80-page giant every year. But they usually have more on the side of quantity as opposed to quality. With the Archie Christmas Spectacular- it's quality all the way. I just wish these guys were longer. 

These annual Christmas presents are typically 32 pages long and only the first story is brand new. In this one, Jughead has stolen his last holiday pie if lunch lady Ms. Beazley has anything to say about things. The all-new story was written by Facebook friend and Candy Crush pal Tom DeFalco (Spider-Girl). The story was great and very festive. But at only 8 pages, it was just too gosh darn short!

The other 24 pages are always filled with classic holiday Archie stories. One of those tales is by quintessential modern Archie creator Dan Parent and it stars Santa's platinum blonde daughter Noelle taking a much needed break from the North Pole. Story #3 is a Betty and Veronica adventure set at the annual Lodge Christmas party. The last story is one titled 'Santa Con Carne'. It's got a great classic 1950s Archie look to it, thanks to the Fab K-Bros. Unfortunately, I've read this one before. 

Having been an avid Archie read for 4 and a half decades, I guess I got lucky with only 1 of the 3 reprints having been something I've read previously. But I just gotta ask (once again) why can't this special have more original content?! I understand that by having so many reprints in these that the publisher is able to make more money on a $2.99 holiday special since you don't have to pay as much for an already published work as opposed to all-new material. But couldn't Archie Comics either make the all-new story twice as long (16-pages) or have 2 debut 8-pagers in these annuals? Or dip a toe into the Sabrina pool or Josie and the Pussycats? Or my personal favs- Little Archie or L'il Jinx. Heck, I'll take something starring that Wilkins Boy. I just want more material that I've never read before!

A great read. Worth waiting until almost the last minute to read. But I really want more new-to-me material in forthcoming Christmas Spectaculars.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment