Sunday, December 4, 2022

The 25 Baubles of Pop Culture! Advent 2022 Day 4

Ornaments representing Marvel Comics is next on our Advent. I start off with my favorite decoration. From Hallmark, this 2011 release is part ornament and part comic book. Some of the ornaments I adore most was a set of Little Golden Book ornaments from the mid-80s. These books were exact 2in x 2in replicas of some classic kids books that I adored as a kid. Well, the same thing kinda happens here.


The ornament boasts a replica to the cover of Avengers #4, which marked the resurrection of the character into the Silver Age of comics. I just love how Hallmark has Cap. literally leaping off the page. Then inside there are several pages that reprint Earth's Mightest Heroes and their first encounter with the revived World War II hero.

After Captain America, my next favorite Marvel property is the Fantastic Four, Marvel's First Family. Unfortunately, a quick Google search doesn't seem to uncover any ornaments starring the whole team. There's a couple made of the Human Torch. But they just look hokey. So I chose this early 2000s miniature set from Hallmark. Spider-Man, The Thing, The Hulk and Wolverine at one time or another were members of the FF. I guess technically this counts. One of the cool things about this ornament is that you hang the 6 heroes individually or you can combine the bases for one deluxe ornament. 


Spider-Man is another favorite of mine. If my wife didn't hate spiders so darn much, I would have tons of Spidey stuff all over my house. One of my favorite ornaments is of Spider-Man hanging upside with his webs. It's such a beautiful piece. But then I saw an ornament that looked just like it only instead of webs, the wallcrawler is using Christmas lights. Well, I had to pick that one instead! It's also from Hallmark, dated 2019.


Hallmark doesn't have the monopoly on great Marvel tree decor. Pottery Barn has an adorable set of hand stitched felt replicas of Black Panther and Spider-Man. Disney offers a resin ornament of Nick Fury. While this is of Nick Fury Jr and not of his dad, the former WWII Sargent, I like this one because he's decked out in the classic blue and white SHIELD uniform. Lastly, I really dig this painted wooden ornament for sale on musicdope80s.com. It's of the Hulk's head, adorned with a Santa hat. I think the image is taken from a classic work by John Romita or Sal Buscema. 




For my Advent present for you today, here's a video that looks at how Santa Claus might be the most powerful mutant in the Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, this video doesn't hint on how Thor's father, the Asgardian Odin, is also Santa Claus. But I guess the producers of this 7 minute video didn't want to confuse viewers too much. But those in the comment section surely don't mind!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment