Saturday, December 31, 2022

2023 Comic Book & Graphic Novel Reading Challenge


I had such success and fun with the 2022 Comic Book & Graphic Novel Reading Challenge, I've decided to do it again. I think the type of stories and genres I read were much more diverse and eclectic. I think that was the point of such a challenge. 

The rules haven't really changed:

1. I must read 50 graphic novels or comic books. The only exception is #50, which does involve reading a prose work of non-fiction about comic book history. These criteria can be completed in any order. I do not have to start at #1 and work my way down to 50.

2. I might read a book that fits multiple criteria. But I can only use 1 criteria per book. For example, I might read Star Wars #1 which from the year I was born (1977). As that year was 45 years ago, this book could also count as being one that is more than 20 years old. It's up to me to choose which criteria I mark off.

3. Once a criteria is selected, it's off the board. I cannot go back and switch criteria. For example, if I marked off Star Wars #1 as being a book more than 20 years old from my list, I can't go back and switch it to the book that was when I was born just because I am having trouble finding other comics/graphic novels from the greatest year ever!

4. I must write a review of the book in order to receive full credit. Those reviews will be listed as being part of the reading challenge. Every month I will post the challenge list to show my progress. 

5. Finally, I have until midnight, December 31st to complete my readings. That final review must be posted by January 4th, 2024 since life could get in the way. In a year that has seen power outages, cancelled flights and unexpected sicknesses, a couple days grace to complete the last review is probably not such a bad idea.

  1. Comic from the Golden Age (1938-1956)

  2. Comic from the Silver Age (1956-1970)

  3. Comic from the Bronze Age (1971-1985)

  4. Based off a Live-Action TV Show

  5. A Movie Adaptation

  6. Based on a True Story

  7. Main Character is an Animal

  8. Book that was Banned/Challenged (https://cbldf.org/banned-challenged-comics/)

  9. Best Single Issue or Serialized Story to Win Eisner Award

  10. About Food or Beverage

  11. More than 20 years old

  12. Published the year you were born

  13. With the word 'Clue' in the Title

  14. A Manga work

  15. Comic Book Written by a Female

  16. Select a Long Box and read the 25th book in the box.

  17. A Star Comic (Marvel Imprint)

  18. A Horror Comic

  19. Main Character is a minority

  20. Book Based on a Video Game

  21. Has a Color in the Title

  22. A Mystery

  23. Time Travel Story

  24. A War Comic/Graphic Novel

  25. Set in a Foreign Country

  26. Set During a Holiday Not in December

  27. Villain is the Main Character

  28. Humor Story

  29. Comic/Graphic Novel Published by Image

  30. A Thor Story

  31. Book over 500 Pages

  32. A Wonder Woman Story

  33. An EC Comic (Reprints are allowed)

  34. Written by Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore or Grant Morrison

  35. An Entire In-house Crossover Event like Civil War or Final Crisis

  36. Fictional Comic Based on Real Person

  37. A Book You Didn't Know Existed

  38. Recommended by a Comic Book Store

  39. An Annual

  40. Set in the 1960s

  41. A memoir

  42. Comic book starting with the letter J

  43. Something bought from a dollar bin

  44. A new release

  45. About Robots

  46. With a 1-word title

  47. A Western

  48. The last issue of a series

49. Is trending on the

comicbookroundup.com top 20

50.Prose non-fiction about comic   

      book history

No comments:

Post a Comment