Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dead Boy Detectives, Volume 1: Schoolboy Terrors


The Dead Boy Detectives have been around since 2001. They originated in the pages of Gaiman’s The Sandman family of books. I’ve read some Sandman stuff, such as a couple of volumes from the main series, some Death graphic novels, and Thessaly. But in my readings I’ve never come across these guys.

A few months ago, I became the Admin for the DC Comics and Vertigo new releases for stashmycomics.com. It was here in putting the newest releases up every week that I first came across the DBDs.
Meet Edwin and Charles. Edwin was murdered at his boarding school in 1913. Jump to 1990, where Charles was murdered at the same school. Somehow, the two meet and ended up rejected Death’s offer to find peace on the other side, hoping to become a sort of paranormal Encyclopedia Brown.
In this volume, the boys help a pair of girl ghosts find their missing cat. Then they go back to their old haunt (pun intended) in hopes of helping a sad girl stave off the very same faith that befell them years ago. Finally, live becomes topsy turvy when Edwin’s attempt to free a ghost from a broken mirror results in him being turned upside down and he gets stuck like that.
 Dead Boy Detectives was very interesting. I enjoyed the previews I had reading during my Admin work. So, the series was on my radar. Once again, my local library came through and I was about to snatch this up before it even hit the shelf. There’s a little demonic voodoo in this book. I don’t usually read those types of books. Thankfully, it wasn’t too scary. Other than a few swears and well, Death of course, it’s a fairly mild opening act.
Sometimes, it takes a little while before the true motives of a series becomes clear. I thought the first two volumes of Sandman weren’t so bad but volume 3 really freaked me out and I haven’t been back since. But I think the Death books are fantastic. So, I was willing to give this a try. I’m very pleased and I would give volume 2 a go once it becomes available.
There’s also at least 2 other Dead Boy Detective miniseries published about 10 years ago. I’m interested in them as well but I want to read volume 2 of this current series before my mind is made up about reading them.
Worth Consuming
Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment