Saturday, October 18, 2014

Uncanny X-Men, Volume 3: The Good, the Bad, the Inhuman (Marvel NOW!)


Uncanny X-Men (2013-Present) #HC Vol 3

A few days ago, I had reviewed the original graphic novel X-Men: No More humans. In that review, I wondered when and in what book do the Original X-Men leave the Jean Grey School and join with Cyclops’ New Xavier School. Well, I got my answer, kinda.

While the team do start up with Cyclops and his band of mutant ‘outlaws’ the reason for why Kitty Pryde and the original, time stranded X-Men isn’t revealed here. However, I now know that for whatever reasons, the events that lead to the split occur in the cross-over event: the War of the Atom. While some of that series occurred in the pages of All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and others, the 10-part story was collected in a book entitled X-Men: Battle of The Atom. So, it’s good to know that I haven’t skipped a volume or something. I just have yet to come across this one.

Once again my library hooked me up with these continuing adventures of the Uncanny X-Men. In this volume, the students have butterflies waiting for the original X-Men to show. Then the girls of the New Xavier School have a night out of the town and discover that a series of Terrigen mist bombs have been detonated and are turning people with latent Inhuman DNA into bizarre creatures. (I’m sorry, but that storyline has been done already during the DC Comics Bloodlines storyline of the 1990s. I’m glad that only one issue was devoted to that ‘original’ idea despite this volumes cover having the word ‘Inhumans’ in the title.)

After the girl’s had their fun, we see where Magneto went and he’s not happy with what’s been going on in Madripoor. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the anti-hero so vicious. But it’s a great story. But it’s not as good as the issue in which various members of the All-New X-Men get a chance to air some grievances with the adult Cyclops. It’s perhaps the best issue in the entire run of both series thus far!

Lastly, a student is kicked off the team but the Uncanny X-Men lose much more than that when the events that kicks off the All-New X-Men/ Guardians of the Galaxy crossover! I’m syked. I was looking forward to the tale at the end of No More Humans and here, I got a little taste of it.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment