Thursday, October 9, 2014

Legends of the DC Universe #6

Legends of the DC Universe (1998-2001) #6

I kinda feel like I’ve read this story before. In this issue we see the first time Robin meet Superman. When the Dark Knight is away on a mission, it’s up to Robin to defend Gotham. When a bunch of Metropolis thugs come looking to make Batman’s city their new turf, Superman teams up with the Boy Wonder to take them down.

Now, Legends is supposed to be a series in which never before told tales of your favorite DC heroes is revealed. But I know I’ve read this story before. In Nightwing: Year One, Dick Grayson reflects on his past history that led to him becoming his own man. He used the name Nightwing after a Kryptonian legend Superman told him about as a child. I’m more than certain that Superman mentions this during their first ever meeting. Now mind you, in that story Batman was present. But still, this is not an ‘untold legend.’

So, the ever intrepid (and aspiring) comic book historian, I did a little research. Despite the fact that I read Nightwing: Year One years before this issue, LOTDCU #6 was published 6 years before the Year One mini-series. Thus, this series inspired the retelling of Nightwing’s origin!

This issue and that mini were fantastic reads. If you love the Man of Steel or are a member of the Batman family, I highly recommend both. The stories are expertly crafted. There are lots of great ‘easter egg’ moments. The art is superb although, I am not a fan of this issue’s cover. Robin looks like he’s wearing a thong. That’s an image I don’t want burned into my brain.

Worth Consuming regardless

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment