Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Batman, Volume 7: Endgame (The New 52!)



   This volume collects the epic Batman storyline that changed everything you know about the Dark Knight!

   The Joker has returned to Gotham City and he's completely changed. He's more cunning, more insane, more deadly, and more powerful than ever before. Along with a newly reconstructed face, the Joker also carries a deadly virus in his system that has turned him into a walking biological weapon- along with now bearing seemingly instructive regenerative properties. 

   The Joker's virus has turned the people of Gotham into raving lunatics. With the sickness spreading, the Caped Crusader must call in all of the members of his Batfamily along  with some of Gotham's must dangerous to save the city before the America military carpet bombs the entire burg as a containment measure. But first, Batman must defeat his allies in the Justice League who have been infected with the Clown Prince of Crime's contagion.

   Issue #40 marked the final confrontation between Batman and the Joker. I had read it before as I received it as a gift during Free Comic Book Day weekend from my brother-in-law. I was so thrilled that I couldn't wait for this volume to come out. It was a good decision as I consider it one of the best issues of 2015. 

   But just as I read that issue with a little bit of confusion having not read issues 35-39, I was a little bit confused here when I started this book. During the Death of the Family storyline, the previous Joker appearance in the comics, the Joker severely beat Alfred. As a result, his daughter came to help him recover and fill-in as Batman's right-hand man. 

   Now, in issue #40, Alfred was in the hospital, so I figured that one of the chapters of Endgame (I didn't read yet) was when this mystery daughter came into the picture. Yet, she's almost on page 1 of volume 7 already helping out (and Alfred's recovering from the Joker's assault in Family.) So, where in the heck did she come from? She didn't show up in volume 6 of Batman, which is a collection of random tales, so again I ask, where did she pop up and what did I not read first before Endgame?

    Questions aside, this was a fantastic read that adds mystery to the Joker mystique and ushers in a new phase in the Batman mythos. 

   You don't want to miss out on Endgame!

   Worth Consuming

   Rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment