Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Peacemaker #1 (Modern Comics reprint)




This issue reprints the first appearance of the Peacemaker from Charlton Comics. A few months ago, I finished the DC’s The L.A.W. (Living Assault Weapons.) It was a tribute to the Charlton Comics characters that DC had purchased the rights to in 1984 or 85. I was interested to learn more so when I found this reprint for cheap, I got ultra-excited. Man was that a bust.

The Peacemaker is a ‘man who loves peace so much that he is willing to fight for it.’ Though he carries a gun, it’s not his first means of offense. By day, the Peacemaker is an American ambassador of some sort. He’s always traveling to the next peace conference or  trying to diffuse a trade dispute. No, really, the first story is about the Peacemaker trying to negotiate fishing rights. But when a pirate with a sub threatens to hold the world’s seas hostage, our politician turns secret agent and saves the day.

Let’s just say that nuclear explosions occur and that Peacemaker survives them in a way that makes Indiana Jones outliving an exploding nuke in a lead lined frig a heck of a lot more plausible.

There’s also a back-up feature called The Fightin’ Five. It was awful from the first panel. The story ending on a cliff-hanger to which I say “let ‘em hangs there for all I care.”

I am so glad I didn’t pay more than a buck for this. It’s lame. Why DC decided they wanted the property is beyond me. I thought Peacemaker was the weakest character in the L.A.W. mini-series. But because I read it, I decided to give this a try. I don’t just want my dollar back on this book. I want the 20 minutes or so I wasted reading this drivel back as well.

Not Worth Consuming.

Rating: 2 out of 10 stars.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment