Friday, September 12, 2014

Sarge Snorkel #13 (Family Comic Friday)



I’m not really sure how I got this comic. The only thing I can think of is that I bought it in order to add it to the stock of the reading program I started at my wife’s work. Still, I am not 100% sure. I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of the Beetle Bailey comic strip on which this comic is based.  I was a Hi and Lois fan, truth be told. (Fun Fact: Beetle Bailey is Lois’ brother and that series was a spin-off.)

Anyway, I found this cleaning out from under our bed so I must have misplaced it separating things I wanted from things I purchased for the reading program. But I decided before I got rid of it, I would read it. Couldn’t hurt.

The book is filled mostly with 1-2 page comics. I’m assuming they were rejected from the Sunday paper. They weren’t awful- they just weren’t my cup of tea. There was a short story in this book that was fairly decent. It was about a war-game held at the army base in which Beetle and Sarge is stationed. I usually skip prose tales in comics until I recently learned that comics had to include such a piece in their issue in order to qualify for first class postage. So, now I read them for the historical value.

At just about any convention, you can find little dollar gems such as these for kids and parents alike to enjoy. Most aren’t in the best of shape, due to the fact that kids owned these once and aren’t the best at keeping things pristine. Also, most of these books were massed produced and don’t have very much ‘collectability.’ It doesn’t mean that they’re awful it’s just not what collectors are clamoring for.

This is definitely going into my reading program’s inventory. I didn’t hate it, but it’s just not for me. It was fun to read, look at the old advertisements and get taken back to the comics of my youth. But a book like this could spark interest in the next generation of comics readers and thus, I will pass it on for them.

Worth Consuming
Rating: 7 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment