Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Catwoman: The Movie and Other Cat Tales

 This trade collects the official comic adaption on the Catwoman feature film starring Halle Berry and Sharon Stone, along with 3 tales from her various series from the 1990s to 2004.
  Let’s talk about the movie. It was a colossal failure in theatres when it came out. To this day, I’ve never seen it. I happened across this book on a dollar shelf at a used book store and I figured I’d give the adaptation of the film a shot in order to decide whether I’ll have any interest in seeing the movie.
   Well, let’s just say, I won’t be running to my local video store to rent this film any time soon. (Yes, I know, video stores don’t exist anymore. Humor me.) When this movie came out, I didn’t have any qualms with a black Catwoman. Frank Miller portrayed Selina Kyle as black in his seminal work Batman: Year One. What I had problems with was that DC decided to create a Catwoman that was nothing like any of her comic personas. Heck, they didn’t even name this Catwoman Selina Kyle! Instead, they created a new character similar to Michelle Pfeiffer’s Catwoman, with her ‘resurrection’ at the hands of a bunch of stray cats and then the powers that be just went wild with a completely new character.
I did like that some sort of tie-in to Pfeiffer’s character was alluded to during a scene that explained Berry’s characters origin. That helped a little. But, I think DC tried to pull a bait and switch with this movie. So, you’ve been warned fellow readers!
  Along with the movie adaptation, we get 3 stories of the actual Catwoman in action. All three are reprints from her 90s self-titled series and involve murder, intrigue, cat-burglary, and seduction. They are all classic Catwoman tales and very well done. The art is edgy and alluring and so are the stories. They’ve got a bit of a femme fatale and film noir element to them. I’m even interested in possibly collecting those series eventually as I finish up some stuff on my wish list.
  These three tales are pretty much the only thing going for this collection of Catwoman tales. It’s the only reason I’m still going to keep this trade and it’s the only reason I deem it Worth Consuming.
Rating: 7 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment