Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Daredevil: End of Days


Daredevil: End of Days (2012-2013) #HC

  Thanks to Mark Waid and his 2011-14 run of Daredevil, I am a fan of the Man Without Fear. This has inspired me to go out and find more books starring Hornhead. Recently, I came across this book which is very similar to the Marvel ‘The End’ books with one exception: this book is considered Marvel canon. That means that despite the fact that Bullseye is in a coma and blind, he will one day kill Matt Murdock.

Don’t worry- I didn’t spoil anything. It even says on the back cover that Daredevil has been murdered. NO, the real mystery is who or what is ‘Mapone?’ This 6-lettered word is the last spoken by Daredevil. It seems to send Bullseye into a tizzy. It’s also ace Daily Bugle journalist Ben Ulrich’s last assignment with the newspaper.

 Tons of former foes and loves come out of the woodwork as Ulrich seeks to discover the meaning to Daredevil’s last word. It’s an exciting “Who’s Who!” that I’ve considered a primer into learning more about the Man Without Fear and his rogues’ gallery.

With lots of thrills, adventure, and suspense, this is a fantastic read. Though, the 2-page splash of Murdock’s death is pretty gruesome. This is not for kids and for the average reader, this may be a little too advanced as over 40 years of Daredevil lore is compacted into just 6 issues. I found myself rereading several chapters in order to better understand the ‘Easter’ eggs.

Aside from the last word of Murdock, there are a few other mysteries to be solved. I won’t mention those as to do so would reveal some spoilers. But I will tell you that some mysteries are left up to the reader to decide while one very pressing mystery I solved half-way through this book.  I cannot stress how important it is to read the director’s cut commentary in the back of this book as well as more insight into the meaning of the word “mapone’ is revealed and discussed further by series scribe Brian Michael Bendis. Just don’t peak or you’ll ruin the final journey of Hell’s Kitchens finest super hero.
Worth Consuming

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment