Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Mekanix #1


Until recently, I had never heard of the comic or character of Mekanix. I probably wouldn’t have even collected this series if it wasn’t for the fact I received 3 issues in a couple of grab bags. I held onto the books in my ‘maybe’ pile and only a few months ago decided to give this miniseries a try after I found the rest of the books online for steep discount.
  Here’s what I learned about Mekanix after reading issue #1. First there isn’t a character named Mekanix, at least not for this series. The girl on the cover is no other than Ms. Kitty Pryde, former X-Man and now a student at a university in Chicago. Her quantum physics class has been deemed a mutant threat to the college, even though Kitty herself has yet to have been outed as a mutant. #2 Kitty’s temper has gotten the best of her lately and she’s now facing mandatory anger management sessions or she’ll be expelled. And #3, the X-Men during the setting of this book don’t ‘exist’ as the mutant nation of Genoshia has been laid waste thanks to the Sentinels. Also, contributing to Kitty’s anger is the fact that her father was killed during the Genoshian invasion.
The book starts off a little slow and it’s a little bit of an oddity for me. Published around 2002-03 this is probably the time period for comics that I know the least about, especially in terms of X-titles. The book ends on a cliffhanger with a literally bang, but alas it’s too late for the excitement to really catch me in its grip. Only my curiosity and desire to learn more about this undiscovered country of comic book history do I feel motivated to give this series another go with issue #2.
Did I mention there’s nobody name Mekanix in this series?  Why is it titled this? This series is starting out a hot mess. To quote Ms. Pryde, “Oy Vey!”
Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment