Friday, September 12, 2014

Itty Bitty Hellboy #1 (1 for $1 Special) (Family Comics Friday)


I found the reprint at Geppi’s Entertainment Museum. It’s a Dark Horse 1 for $1 special in which the publisher reprints various past first issues that have gone the way of the very expensive dinosaur. The GEM had dozens of issues, for sale, so I would expect that it’s not very hard to find at the local comic book shop.
Itty Bitty Hellboy (2013) #1B

  Hellboy usually isn’t a series for kids. Hellboy, the creation of Mike Mignola, is one of the actually sons of the devil, who was stuck here as a child thanks to Nazi experimentation with a portal to Hades
(in effort to win the war.) Now fighting for the forces of good with the BPRD, Hellboy must reel himself in when fighting the forces of evil or an ancient prophesy that he would become the new (and very evil) ruler of Hades will come true. Hellboy’s adventures, while fun and exciting are gruesome and scary. It’s definitely not something for those under the age of 13. But here’s the kicker- Itty Bitty Hellboy is actually a series that kids can enjoy with their friends and family that are old enough to read the regular Hellboy series.

  Itty Bitty Hellboy is the brainchild of that dynamic duo of all-age friendly comics Art Baltazar and Franco. If you’ve read my blog regularly, you’ll know that I am a huge fan of their various DC series like Tiny Titans and Superman Family Adventures. I’d know about this series for just a couple of weeks and it was on my radar but I hadn’t officially added it to my wish list.

The series is just as dynamic as the previous Baltazar and Franco series that I’ve read. Each vignette is between 2-6 pages long and while directed for youngsters, it still has some ‘Easter egg’ type elements that teen and adult readers will understand and enjoy. There are at least 4 more issues in this series and all 5 books are collected in a single all-color edition for $20.

   As to whether I will add this series to my wish list and eventually my collection- Oh He-… ummm. Yes. Yes I will.

Worth Consuming

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars

 

No comments:

Post a Comment