Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Space Ark #1

 I’m not even sure where I got this issue from. It’s not really something up my alley. It’s a insipid funny animal’s book that parodies everything from Star Trek to Gilligan’s Island. The jokes are so old, they’ve got dust on them and I could literally hear groans when I read them. Yes, I am sure, they’re went mine!
About the only thing going for it is the art. It’s very clean and expressive. The creators of this series Ken Mitchroney and Mark Cantrell cite Bob Clampett of Beanie and Cecil fame as their inspiration but there is quite a bit of Don Bluth (All Dogs Go to Heaven and An American Tail) in this as well. That’s also the only reason I’m going to keep this.
The art would lead you to believe that this is an all-ages book. However, there is quite a bit of sexual innuendo, especially regarding the Space Ark’s sole female crewmember. Plus with references to gambling, smoking, drinking, and wild partying, I’m going to say this is for ages 12 and older. There isn’t any swears or graphic sex (and yes funny animal comics do have sex in them sometimes See: Fritz the Cat) so it’s not like it a youngster does read this that they’re going to turn into raving lunatics.
Besides, this is an Indy comic from 1985 and as far as I know, this is the only such issue I’ve ever come across.
Rating: 5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment