Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Funny Animal Comics for People Who Don't Like Funny Animal Comics


The title of this entry is what Roy Thomas used to describe his 1982 creation Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew. Many of the issues in this series are ones I remember from my childhood and when I started collecting comics again 6 years ago, Zoo Crew was one of the first titles I put on my wish list to find. It took me roughly 6 years, about a dozen comic conventions and tons and tons of long boxes, but I finally completed my hunt just this summer.
 I have about 25 issues or so to read. But, unlike most weeks were there is a theme, My readings will be spread over the next few weeks. I have a feeling I may get a little stale, especially if Zoo Crew is as childish as I was when I first read him and I may want,  no I'll need to throw in a more-serious book from time to time.

Oh, before I go, a little fun fact. I had always wondered why DC didn't just create an animal series based on established heroes like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman. Well, upon researching, I learned that DC's legal department felt that marketing such a beast (pun intended) would be a nightmare as the rights to many of their characters were now owned in some part by the creators. However, the Just'a Lotta Animals starring Super Squrriel, Batmouse and even the Green Lambkin do make cameos as the creation of Capt. Carrot's cartoonist alter-ego Roger Rabbit.

Fun Fact #2. This Roger Rabbit is not the one who'll eventually get framed in a film starring Bob Hoskins and Jessica Rabbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment