Thursday, September 26, 2013

Batman: R.I.P.


 

   I really thought I had read this before. But after a quick search through my reading journal, I can’t find any proof of my having read it. Maybe I’ve read an issue or two. I don’t know, but it seemed familiar at first.

   But, as I dove into what was essentially considered Batman’s last case, I’m just not so sure. This physiological thriller has a mysterious group of millionaires pulling out all stops to drive the Dark Knight insane with a series of mental suggestions enacted during an experiment for the military. 

  I’ve read Neil Gaiman’s “Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?” and I thought it was very good. However, I think this is one of the few times that someone out-Gaimaned Gaiman. Grant Morrison does a fantastic job tying in some of Batman’s most classic cases during those wild and crazy 1960s. Almost the entire history of the Batman is covered here. It’s a beautiful love letter to Caped Crusader.

  I also loved the back-up feature “What the Butler Saw.” It’s so haunting and perhaps the best Batman tale ever. Plus, I love that it ties in what happened to Batman at the end of RIP to events that occur in Final Crisis.

Batman RIP is a true masterpiece.

Worth Consuming.

Rating 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment