Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The New Teen Titans #16

This issue actually marks the first appearance of Captain Carrot. In the middle of this issue, there is a 16-page insert that introduces readers to mild-mannered Clark Kent and his secret identity of Superman. Wait, What? I thought this was supposed to be a funny animal book?
   In an attempt to garner readership, the Man of Steel makes an appearance on an alternate earth ruled by walking (upright) talking animals. As a strange energy beam causes people on earth to turn into animals, Superman intercepts a meteor and somehow breaks a dimensional plan to sweep him to Earth-C.
  I’m not sure why Superman was chosen to team-up with the Zoo Crew and not the Teen Titans. I mean, this whole set-up takes place in their magazine. If you’re not going to use them, why not put the Zoo Crew preview in an issue of Action Comics or DC Comics Presents? BTW, you’ll actually need this issue as a cliff-hanger occurs that’s only resolved in Captain Carrot #1. In fact, until I stumbled upon the book in a 10-cent box, I would never have known I needed this title to complete my collection. I would have been pissed if that happened.


In regards of the Teen Titans, I enjoyed that book very much. Starfire falls in love with Mr. Right. Only he’s a HIVE mole and is using her to infiltrate the Titans. The book is full of drama and teen angst and low on action. But, that’s okay. It’s like DC’s answer to X-Men, only with a smaller cast to keep the plots tighter. I appreciated that and the George Perez art ain't bad either. I think I’ll be collecting this title real soon!

Worth Consuming.

Rating for Captain Carrot Preview: 8 out of 10 stars.

Rating for Teen Titans story: 10 out of 10 stars.

Average rating: 9 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment