Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mystic Comics 70th Anniversary Special #1


This issue introduced me to yet another Timely character that I had never heard of. Well, actually, I have heard of the Vision, but brother, this isn’t the Vision I grew up with in issues of the Avengers. This Vision is an other-dimensional alien who can enter this world through smoke and flame. He’s powered by those very elements and often appears to his victims but is invisible to the naked eye of other observers. So when a baddie has a grisly demise, it looks like a suicide.
This vigilante hero is very gritty. His modern story was pretty gruesome with visions of rape, mutilations, and gore. I had to remember half way through this story that this is the modern tale, and not the 1940s version. But the 40s story was just about as violent.
I actually liked this issue. It’s definitely not for kids under age 13 though. It’s like Rob Zombie and Quentin Tarantino got together and created a noir supernatural comic book. Very unusual stuff. But who ever said unusual was a bad thing.
Worth Consuming.
Rating 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment