Monday, December 31, 2018

Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection


I really enjoyed Kate Beaton's first collection of Hark! A Vagrant cartoons. Her web comic, that tackles everything from feminism to Greek mythology, Victorian era holiday decorations to comic books, is extremely funny. It's also very, very smart. 

You don't have to have a college education to enjoy Hark! A Vagrant. But it sure doesn't hurt. Beaton's sense of humor is on par with that of Dan Piraro's Bizarro. Just add college credits to the mix. There's also a touch of the unexpected, similar to Gary Larson's The Far Side. Only, up the age rating to PG-13. 

This volume added a neat premise in where Beaton took classic images and expounded on what really was going on. Haven't you always wondered just what the heck was Nancy Drew doing on all her covers? You'll finally get your answer in this book.

One thing that I was disappointed in was the quality of some of the artwork. There was a lot of which looked like rough sketches. I'm not sure if Kate Beaton was trying to add some sketchbook extras to the book or if this is how some of her web comics really looked. I know it's been a while since I read the first collection; but I do not remember there being so many these hastily produced-looking pieces in it.

One more thing. It's not really a negative but a suggestion. If there is to ever be a volume 3, either Beaton or her editors should change how some pages are presented. Typically when a new subject comes about, the title is at the top. There's then one or two cartoons in the middle of the page. Then at the very bottom are notes from the cartoonist about her inspiration for the jokes. Sometimes, there is also some very important back story that is lost if you don't go to those notes first. 

Might I suggest for the next book putting those note before the cartoons? It would make for a smoother transition. Plus, reading those notes first help with understanding the punchlines better. As much as I might know of Wuthering Heights and the Fall of Troy, I also haven't read up so much on the life of Doctor Sara Josephine Baker. So some context in the right place is much needed.

I laughed out loud at several of these. I'm still laughing at one of them everytime I think of it. Some of the strips went right over my head. But, that's comedy. Step Aside, Pops was a delight to read and I can't wait until there will be another volume! 

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment