Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Brave and The Bold #184


In this pre-Crisis holiday issue, the Huntress is grieving the deaths of her parents, Bruce and Selina Wayne. So the heroine travels from Earth-2 to Earth-1 to spend Christmas with that world's Batman. But when a crook threatens to reveal the previous alleged misdeeds of Thomas Wayne, Bruce Wayne suffers a crisis of conscience. Will this be the Dark Knight's final Yuletide? 

I was expecting this issue to be a downer. I'm not so very familiar with the Earth-2 Huntress. The one I know is from post-Crisis DC in which Batman isn't very fond of the Huntress' superheroing efforts. Here, the Caped Crusader is 'Uncle Bruce' and there's a very loving relationship between the two crime-fighters. Not what I expected at all.  

This was a very good story from Mike W. Barr with excellent art from Jim Aparo. As I said earlier, this issue was a warmer (and pleasant) surprise full of holiday cheer. If you like those Gothic Christmas tales like A Christmas Carol or The Nightmare Before Christmas you will enjoy this deceptively light tale. 

There's also a back-up story for a character called Nemesis. He's a sort of knock-off of the Human Target in my opinion. The story was okay but I didn't feel much a connection with this character who was completely new to me. 

A very well done holiday offering from 1981. A purchase of less than $2 for me, it was a freakin' steal!

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment