Thursday, December 13, 2018

They Made A Christmas Album?- Advent 2018: Day 13

Today's featured artist is another favorite of mine. Yet while I love the band that sings the song, I kinda hate the song they do. 



The band in question is The Ramones. The father's of punk! Since 1976, fans like myself have wanted to be sedated, take a trip to Rockaway Beach or get an education at Rock n' Roll High School. 

The original line-up of Joey, Dee Dee, Johnny and Tommy Ramone weren't related. They got their name from a supposed alias used by Paul McCartney. Sadly, all of the original members had passed on but their music lives on forever.

Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) is really one of the band's least poppy songs. I love the Ramones for being fun even when the subject matter is kinda morbid; like a getting a lobotomy or sniffing glue. This holiday tune however, was really grim. But I think that was because the subject matter was too close to the band. None of them could ever really get along and it's no wonder that some of original members came and went as often as they did.


The song is from the band's 1989 release Brain Drain.  It's been long overshadowed by such hits as Pet Sematary (which was written for the Stephen King film of the same name) and their take on 1962's bubble-gum hit Palisades ParkMerry Christmas the only holiday song on the record. I'm not even sure why it was included seeing as the album was released in March of that year. (The record was recorded in December of '88- maybe that's something.)

So, without any further to-do, here's today's featured song. If it takes you out of the holiday mood, forgive me. I promise tomorrow should be cheerier or at least more fun...

Try to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment