Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Myth of 8-Opus: 8-Opus Wrecks


With the face of Darkseid, the costume of Orion and equipment that rivals a mother box, The Myth of 8-Opus feels like someplace I've been before. Written and illustration by Thomas Scioli (Go-Bots), this book felt like I was visiting Kirby's Fourth World. But this didn't feel like a rip-off or a reboot. Instead, this was like an untold tale or a pre-Darkseid and Highfather origin story.

8-Opus is travelling the cosmos in search of his friend Daedalus. 8-Opus' quest takes him to the remains of a cosmic giant. For Daedalus, this planet is a utopia. But thanks to the Mystic-8, the mask worn by 8-Opus, the truth behind this world and it's inhabitants is anything but ideal.

The story wasn't the best part of this book. It's definitely the art. Done very much in the style of Kirby, it's quite visually appealing. The story on the other hand felt rushed at times. Sometimes, it just felt like Scioli was throwing stuff at a wall and making a story out of what stuck to it. Oddly enough, I'm hooked on this what can only be defined as experimental comic from A-Okay Comics. Thankfully, I still have one more volume of work left to read.

I went to do some digging on further titles and I found a blog that promised serialized adventures from Thomas Scioli. Unfortunately, the link given didn't work. So I may be SOL. 

For all I know, this book isn't even the first in the series. It's going to be a challenge to find more information. But if there is a volume before this one, it could explain some inconsistencies that did not make much sense.

I found this awesomely weird book at the comic book swap meet I went too earlier this Summer. I'm not sure why I waited so long to read it. But I am glad I did. It was a brilliantly unusual read that is a must for fans of Kirby's Fourth World and Indy comics that do not follow the rules.

Worth Consuming!

Rating: 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment