Saturday, November 30, 2013

Doctor Who: The Key to Time- A Year-by-Year Record (21st Anniversary Special) (Doctor Who Month)


 

How best to learn more about the early, early, early days of Doctor Who than this exhaustive diary of the first 21 years of the classic British sci-fi classic. Covering its inception and first ever airing in November 1963 to April 1984 with the first appearance of the sixth Doctor, just about everything you wanted to know about the original series is covered here.

It’s a little more focused on the technical and behind the scenes aspects of the show. But that’s fine with me. I want to start really collecting Doctor Who episodes on DVD and I’m not sure I want to know everything that happens. I like being surprised, even if it’s a 30 year old episode.

There’s also quite a bit of editorial covered in this book from reviews of TV critics to angry mothers who make Fredric Wertham looked like a proponent for the comic book medium. I like the reviews, but the Mothers Against Doctor Who passages get kinda old, kinda quick.

There’s plenty of Doctor Who photos in this book, most are black and white, but there are some gems in brilliant 4-color spread format. Also, any artwork in this book was commissioned by fans. I thought that was really cool.

I think that for 1984, this was a great offering for American fans of Who, since not much probably was available on this side of the pond. But, I am sure in this day and age, there are much more comprehensive and more professional records of the series. I hope to find them, but for now, this was a great log of the early days of my all-time favorite TV show.

Worth Consuming.

Rating 8 out of 10 stars.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey rating: 9 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment