Thursday, November 14, 2013

Doctor Who Classic Series 4, #1 (Doctor Who Month)


 

This publication by IDW reprints 3 stories from Doctor Who Monthly, starring Colin Baker. Baker is considered by many to be the worst Doctor. But, I like him. I feel a little bad for him, I think he got a bad rap- unlike other actors who played the Doctor, Colin wasn’t allowed to choose his own costume, nor was he able to truly develop his own character. Plus, it didn’t help that the producer of the show at the time wanted out, but was forced by the BBC to continue on for another season. Talk about phoning it in (yes, Police Box pun intended!)

Here, the Doctor, companion Peri, and an alien penguin encounter the Whovian equivalent of the Grapes of Wrath. That meeting leads the Doctor to an alien planet in which someone is experimenting on the peasant populace with Cybermen!

I liked it! I thought the art was good, the storytelling superb, and that the writer captured the vernacular of both the 6th Doctor and Peri. I have the rest of this series and will eventually finish it. I just want to read more stories of other Doctor’s in time for the 50th Anniversary, which at this point is only 9 days away!

Rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey Scale: 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment