Saturday, November 30, 2013

Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time: Volume 2 (Doctor Who Month)


 

In this volume of IDW’s tribute to 50 years of Doctor Who, we focus on some of my all-time favorite Time Lords. It doesn’t hurt that these are the guys I grew up with. But I also love that my Doctor- the fifth played by Peter Davison is covered here.

Someone with connections to the Doctor in the future is still kidnapping his companions. But, unlike the last volume where he was caught off guard by this occurrence, the Doctor is starting to catch on.

I liked the IDW used the original artist for the Colin Baker era comics. It was also need to see a character used only in those comic adventures be used for that Doctor’s adventure. Very smart. I loved it.

What I was not a fan of was the art. Okay, let me back up. The art of the aliens, the TARDIS, and the supporting characters is very good. But, the fifth, seventh, and eighth Doctor and their companions are not photo-realistic looking. One might say, it’s a comic, it’s not supposed to look real. However, the sixth Doctor, Peri, and the Master look like the actors who played them. So, if that issue could capture the looks of Colin Baker, Nicola Bryant, and Anthony Ainley, why couldn’t the other artists have done as good as job on their mandated Doctors as well. (Plus at least 3 of the last 4 Doctors in volume 1 looked like the actors who portrayed them, so I have a very valid argument.)

Despite the art, the stories were all very good and the writing captured the style and mannerisms of all the characters. I desperately cannot wait for volume 3 and the answer to just who is behind these kidnappings.

Worth Consuming.

Rating 8 out of 10 stars

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey rating: 10 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment